Someone's reading my blog! SHITTTTTT


Anyway, I'm thinking. Should I write a book about my adventures teaching in the gig economy?  I have alot of free time due to many "student no shows". I can write my novel during that time. It would be .... a book about e-learning and teaching in the digital age. A book for millenials, essentially. There are a few articles I researched while I was debating working for this company. LINKED BELOW. The real meat would be the neuroscience behind teaching and how teaching works in the brain. Actually I've had to pass TESOLs for this job and the study material for that is very interesting.  Have to include that SHIZNATTT in my book. If there was a book out there for people wanting to teach in the digital age, I would read it.

So teaching's going well. My main complaint at this time, something I complained to my dad about, who entirely ignored me and bought postmates while I was talking, is that the parents sit in on the lesson many times.  Like, I'm teaching a 5 year old and a 60 year old man is like repeating the stuff I say.  I understand teaching is like that- it's inclusive- it includes the entire environment. I guess my main qualm is that I would prefer to have a conversation with the parents first, about their kid- adult to adult- before jumping into a lesson which is an intimate experience. And then the issue is that many Chinese parents don't speak alot of English. I've struggled with that before- a teacher- parent relationship. What is that? What does a PTA meeting look like. It's just something I'm struggling with right now.

And my favorite part of this whole gig is the crazily interesting scientific articles I'm reading about what happens in the brain when you learn. My 16 year old live student came over once and he watched me teach an online lesson and I explained to him that the process of watching a 5 year old absorb everything you're doing and saying is crazy. I could tell this child that Z means T and he would repeat that. And that's the nature of kids bla bla bla, but it's just the strangest experience. Even conversing with my 16 year old student, whose mature for his age, is strange. And I have to consciously pull myself out of whatever pubescent drama he brings and remember that I'm turning 30 this year.  More so, I find the theories surrounding learning the most interesting. Because right now I'm utilizing "language acquisition" or whatever. Behaviorism. Which is like rote drilling. Repeating the word "pizza" over and over until it's drilled in to the brain. And learning about Noam Chomsky's language theory which is more about how language (and music) are innate to humans and something that seperates humans from animals. So interesting I could read this stuff for days. Thanks mom for the biology-loving gene!!  And thanks fam for making me a giant ass science nerd.

This gig is so stressful. I'm barely holding my head above water, that's sometimes what it feels like. And then I'm thinking ,I'm spending most of days speaking with a five year old. I mean, that is a productive well-spent life.

Love,

Teacherina Kristerina

Comments

Popular Posts